Museo civico d'arte - Palazzo Ricchieri

Palazzo Ricchieri is one of the oldest buildings in Pordenone, left as inheritance to the City in 1949 by Count Lucio Ernesto Ricchieri di Sedrano, with the commitment of the public authority “to use it as a library, gallery, archive” as well as “to preserve the name of Casa Ricchieri”. The Count's desire has not been disregarded and since 1970, after an important restoration, the building is the location of the Civic Art Museum of Pordenone, which houses the art gallery, with works by Giovanni Antonio de 'Sacchis, also known as “il Pordenone”, and a remarkable section of wood sculpture.

Originally, the building was very different from what we see today. Its oldest part is represented by a massive tower-house built in the thirteenth century, with a square base and fortified for defensive purposes, still visible at the corner of the building overlooking Piazzetta San Marco.

The Ricchieri, ancient traders of fabrics, in the period between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, establish themselves economically and politically within the city, receiving in 1383 the title of nobility from the House of Austria, which the city is subjected, and in 1389 also from the Venetian Republic. In this period, next to the tower house, they acquire another building, whose internal decorations, realized in fresco and datable between the end of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century, are a living testimony of their affirmation into the society of the time. In fact, both the first and second floors are visible frescoes inspired by both the Breton cycle of the stories of Tristan and Isolde, and the Carolingian epic, as well as hunting and allegorical scenes.

Subsequently, between the 16th and 17th centuries, important interventions took place: the unification of a further building, originally separated by a free passage (the current atrium), and the complete renovation of the building, with the entire facade being modified and with the construction of the impressive grand staircase. At the time of the legacy and until the '60s, the building, dismembered and adapted to rented housing, is crumbling, so much that even a demolition was thought of. Important restoration and adaptation work to a public building were carried out in 1965 and at the end of the 1990s.

Gallery Icon PHOTO GALLERY